Sunday, November 21, 2010

Getting E3000 Storage mount on ubuntu

I connected a 2TB Western Digital MyBook to my E3000 linksys router.

I did have a ext3 filesystem on the mybook but the E3000 only supports FAT filesystem (lame linksys)
so I had to reform the disk using the router configuration web UI.

Once I did that I tested the connection to the drive from my Windows XP system.  For some reason I could not connect the drive as admin so I again used the router's web UI to add an user and set the password for this new user.  Again add another lamo point to the linksys's lame score.

Now I want to get the drive mount on my ubuntu server so I will attempt to follow the instructions from here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountWindowsSharesPermanently



  1. sudo apt-get install smbfs
  2. I skipped the nit about unmount order
  3. I already have a group that I want to access the drive 'cricket' with gid 305
  4. Create .smbcredentials file like so ...
red@ubuntu:~$ cd
red@ubuntu:~$ cat > ..smbcredentials <<EOT
> username=harddrive
> password=12345678
> EOT
red@ubuntu:~$ sudo chown root .smbcredentials
red@ubuntu:~$ sudo chmod 600 .smbcredentials
* harddrive is the user I created with the E3000's web UI
  1. edit fstab like so ...
red@ubuntu:~$ cd /etc
red@ubuntu:/etc$ sudo cp fstab fstab.no_share
red@ubuntu:/etc$ sudo vim fstab
wee@ubuntu:/etc$ diff fstab fstab.no_share
28d27
< //192.168.1.1/public /mnt/nfs smbfs credentials=/home/red/.smbcredentials,uid=1000,gid=305    0 0
And Wall - ah ...

red@ubuntu:/etc$ sudo mount -a
red@ubuntu:/etc$ df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
...
//192.168.1.1/public 1952344512        96 1952344416   1% /mnt/nfs

And it turns out that since E3000 only supports FAT FS I cannot backup files from my ubuntu server with rsync MAJOR SAD FACE AND LAME ON LINKSYS!!!  The harddrive connected to my router is COMPLETELY USELESS TO ME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment